Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Who Remembers S&H Green Stamps?

Who Remembers S&H Green Stamps?


How many of you remember receiving S&H Green Stamps?  As a baby boomer, I clearly remember my mother collecting the stamps. In fact, we kept our stamps and books in a well used, brown lunch bag.  The one thing I clearly remember is how bad those stamps tasted when I licked them and pasted them in the books.  The funny thing is, I never remember redeeming the stamps. I only remember getting the stamps, licking the stamps, and counting the completed pages.


For those of you who don't have a clue what S&H Green Stamps were, they were a kind of bonus that a shopper would receive for shopping at certain stores.  After the purchase was made, the cashier would give the customer a number of stamps- based on the overall purchase price.  If my memory is correct, the stamps had values of 1, 10, and 50. Each page in the book needed to total 50 points.  A person could fill a page with one 50 point stamp, five 10 point stamps, or 50 singles- or any other combination that totaled 50 points. 


Once a person collected enough complete books, he/she could turn the books in for merchandise that came from a catalog called the "Ideabook". Like I said earlier, I don't remember EVER turning the books in for merchandise but common items, at the time, were toasters & other kitchen appliances.  


Anyway, the concept of Green Stamps was a good one.  A consumer had an incentive to shop at certain stores & the stores had an incentive to provide the Green Stamps.  What if on-line shoppers could obtain a bonus for shopping at the stores they love to shop at?  You know what? They can.  But...instead of getting useless stamps, shoppers can get CASH BACK.  That's right, if you shop at www.ezshop411.com, you can get cash back on your qualifying purchases.  You can use the cash to purchase Market America branded products or you can wait until you accumulate $10.00 - then you can request a check.  That's clearly better than licking stamps to get a toaster.


For more information, visit www.ezshop411.com!

1 comment:

  1. My father was the last S&H Green Stamp salesman in the country, 30 something years. I remember the stamps, the signs, gas stations, grocery stores everyone offered them. As a kid I'd ride with him to his appointments. I'D love to find a classic sign, he passed away a few weeks ago the memories are priceless...D~

    ReplyDelete